- 1A statement or account that makes something clear: the birth rate is central to any explanation of population trendsMore example sentences
clarification, simplification; description, report, version, statement; elucidation, exposition, expounding, explication, delineation; gloss, interpretation, deciphering, decoding, translation, commentary, exegesis; demonstration, illustration; resolution, solution• informal the why and wherefore
- He provides clear explanations of complex economic issues, using anecdotes to illustrate each point.
- Provide a clear explanation of your aims and methods and be prepared to deal with concerns.
- The explanations are admirably clear, and the arrangement appears to be a very good one.
- 1.1A reason or justification given for an action or belief: Freud tried to make sex the explanation for everything [mass noun]: my application was rejected without explanationMore example sentences
- There are no excuses or reasonable explanations for the way that this information was managed initially.
- People are just finding reasons and other explanations for the market downturn.
- I suspect that there's no one reason and that the explanation varies from person to person.
late Middle English: from Latin explanatio(n-), from the verb explanare (see explain).