Definition of exponentiation in English:
noun[mass noun] Mathematics
The operation of raising one quantity to the power of another.
- One of the main reasons for including an introduction to modular arithmetic is that the two most popular public key algorithms use modular exponentiation as their basic mathematical process.
- Computing individual hexadecimal digits using that formula relies on a venerable technique known as the binary algorithm for exponentiation.
- With ordinals you can do addition, multiplication and exponentiation - even infinitely often - but you can't do subtraction or division, as far as I know.
- Example sentences
- The regression coefficient was exponentiated, and we subtracted this value from 1 to obtain the decline rate.
- Multivariate results are presented in the form of odds ratios, obtained by exponentiating the regression coefficients from logistic models.
- The transition probabilities of the process can be calculated by exponentiating the rate matrix using standard numerical methods.
Definition of exponentiation in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia