(also extensor muscle)
- A muscle whose contraction extends or straightens a limb or other part of the body. Often contrasted with flexor.More example sentences
- The limb is supplied with a single extensor muscle and a single flexor, all other joints are considered rigid, and the objective of the CNS is to maintain the position of the limb.
- The anterior compartment flexor muscles of the arm are innervated by the musculocutaneous nerve, and the large posterior compartment extensor muscle is innervated by the radial nerve.
- Flexion force applied against long finger (third digit) extension distal to the proximal interphalangeal joint may provoke pain over the extensor muscle mass in the proximal forearm.
early 18th century: from late Latin, from extens- 'stretched out', from the verb extendere (see extend).
More definitions of extensorDefinition of extensor in:
- The US English dictionary