1Excessive regard for outward form in religion: religion needs to be questioned for its negative attitudes, hypocrisy, and externalism
More example sentences
- Having established the principle which condemned religious externalism, Jesus went on to give specific examples of its practice.
- Eventually, he argued, this is what in fact happened so that the prophets faced a dead externalism in religious practice and a mechanical routine in religious thought.
2 Philosophy The view that mental events and acts are essentially dependent on the world external to the mind, in opposition to the Cartesian separation of mental and physical worlds.
- By considering a series of examples, I shall attempt to exhibit as clearly as possible the fundamental intuition about epistemic rationality that externalism seems to violate.
- However, one may draw rather different conclusions from the Cartesian thought experiment - turning it against externalism.
- So externalism poses no extra challenge to functionalism.
externalist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- Still, the externalist conception of justified belief does seem descriptive, whereas the internalist conception is explicitly regulative.
- Moreover, there are general reasons for thinking that phenomenal sameness is not always sufficient for sameness of thought - this is a principle which externalists defend.
- Other philosophers have argued for an externalist conception of mental content, according to which meaning is fixed by the social context, more particularly the language community.
Definition of externalism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.