Definition of extortion in English:
The practice of obtaining something, especially money, through force or threats: he used bribery and extortion to build himself a huge, art-stuffed mansion [as modifier]: extortion rackets
More example sentences
- Brute force, extortion, and bribery are not a policy, they are the last refuge of a mafioso.
- At the least, we can ask that American citizens not pay extortion money to enemy governments in a time of war.
- The underworld is once again making extortion threats to Bollywood figures.
- Example sentences
- It's all about cost of living, and husbandry, and sustainability, and not spending the rest of your life - as an individual or a business - paying blackmail to extortioners.
- Mr Prasad, however, refused to name the extortioners.
- According to the reports, many of these extortioners are recently released prisoners.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India