Entry from US English dictionary
1The continuation of a tie game beyond the usual nine innings.
- The game entered extra innings, however, and it was time to go to the convention.
- Most of those extra innings are going to have to be eaten by pitchers who aren't Pedro.
- First of all extra innings are employed and if that does not work, the the game is carried over until the next day, the next visit, even in extreme cases until the very end of the season.
1.1Any continuation beyond the expected or scheduled time.
- The surprise on Election Night was when Bunning's contest had to go to extra innings
- Not that anyone inside the state Capitol is surprised that we're going to extra innings on health care.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: ex·tra in·nings
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.