- A microorganism, especially an archaean, that lives in conditions of extreme temperature, acidity, alkalinity, or chemical concentration.More example sentences
- Even right here on Earth, new categories of organisms, collectively called extremophiles, thrive in conditions inimical to human beings.
- However, for many poorly studied microbes, such as the increasing number of completely sequenced extremophiles, this approach may provide valuable information on their ecology that cannot be obtained otherwise.
- Studies of extremophiles have revealed that terrestrial life occupies virtually every imaginable habitat where liquid water, chemical nutrients, and simple forms of energy coexist.
More definitions of extremophileDefinition of extremophile in:
- The US English dictionary