Definition of exudate in English:
1 Medicine A mass of cells and fluid that has seeped out of blood vessels or an organ, especially in inflammation.
- Histologically, no cardial brain abscesses show purulent exudate surrounded by variable amounts of fibrosis.
- A similar reaction was present in the left ovary surrounding an abscess cavity containing purulent exudate and surrounded by dense fibrosis and chronic inflammation.
- To be included in the analysis, patients had to have at least three of the following conditions concomitantly: fever, tonsillar exudate, tender anterior cervical lymph nodes and absence of cough.
2 Botany & Entomology A substance secreted by a plant or insect.
- The chemical properties of plant litter and exudates strongly influence many chemical properties of soils that are critical to ecosystem functioning.
- Cytokinins were analysed in leaf extracts, leaf phloem exudate and in the shoot apical meristem at different times during floral transition.
- Moreover, the composition of exudates produced by glandular trichomes may change with leaf age.
late 19th century: from Latin exsudat- 'exuded', from the verb exsudare.
Definition of exudate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia