Definition of exuviae in English:
plural noun[also treated as singular] Zoology
The cast or sloughed skin of an animal, especially of an insect larva.
- Emerged adult Axarus and shed pupal exuviae were removed from the trap daily.
- This assemblage, perhaps representing an accumulation of molted exuviae, was apparently preserved as the result of rapid burial by carbonate muds and silts during a storm event.
- All specimens are exuviae, with thin and fragile carapaces and abdomens and fragmentary bodies and appendages.
mid 17th century: from Latin, literally 'animal skins, spoils of the enemy', from exuere 'divest oneself of'.
- Example sentences
- Most scorpion fossils are thought to be exuvial.
- Exuvial samples were collected at stations above and below organic effluent inflows ...
Definition of exuviae in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan