noun (plural fêtes galantes pronunc. same)
- 1An outdoor entertainment or rural festival, especially as depicted in 18th-century French painting.More example sentences
- They chat with the clowns and guitarists who entertain them in these fêtes galantes (amorous festivities) as freely as one would in an open-air party today.
- These parties became veritable fêtes galantes from which the larger spectacle could be enjoyed.
- 1.1A painting in the fête galante genre.More example sentences
- Watteau's fêtes galantes, his enigmatic fantasies of courtly love, offer a feast for the eyes.
- Based loosely on a contemporary opera-ballet of the same name, the picture is a fête galante, a poetic subject Watteau made his own.
- His best-known works are conversation pieces, which owe a debt to the theatre, derived from French fêtes galantes.
French, literally 'elegant festival'.
More definitions of fête galanteDefinition of fête galante in:
- The US English dictionary