Definition of faceplate in English:
1An enlarged end or attachment on the end of the mandrel on a lathe, with slots and holes on which work can be mounted.
- It uses a swash plate design that imparts reciprocating motion via the inclination of a faceplate on a shaft relative to the axis of rotation.
- To make a Drive Mandrel, start by mounting a wooden faceplate on your lathe.
- Replace the faceplate on the lathe, spread some glue in the mortise and use the tail stock to clamp the mandrel in place.
2The transparent window of a diver’s or astronaut’s helmet.
- He opened the cracked faceplate of the fallen astronaut and gazed in horror at what lay within.
- If you saw a constant stream of gas coming from the faceplate of a diver you were assisting to the surface, what would you think?
- She had a faceplate on her helmet, blocking most of her face from my view, but her eyes seemed familiar, even though they wore an angry guise.
3The part of a cathode ray tube that carries the phosphor screen.
- The faceplate portion has a screen to display an image, and the panel portion has a shadow mask installed therein.
- An improved cathode-ray tube includes an envelope comprising a faceplate panel, a funnel and a neck.
- The present invention relates to a substrate of a luminous face-plate of a colour projection cathode ray tube and the luminous face-plate which is composed of this substrate.
4A plate protecting a piece of machinery.
- Worldwide sales of faceplates - pieces of hard plastic that snap onto the front of cell phones - climbed to roughly $1.7 billion.
- There is a thin aluminum plate behind the faceplates that you must wiggle back and forth to snap out, why they put those in there I am not sure.
- Antec also tucked the drive rails on the metal plate behind the plastic faceplate so you'll always know where they are.
Definition of faceplate in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia