Respect for the rules or equal treatment of all concerned: he’s a player recognized for his sense of fair play they were demanding fair play in the allocation of housing and jobs
More example sentences
- The debate on terror is a serious one and it needs adult contributions and a commitment to fair play and respect from all involved.
- We need to be concerned about the precedent here, and how it affects the rules of democratic fair play.
- Behind it all there was a sense of decency and fair play and an underlying kindness and compassion.
fair play to someone
- British Used as an expression of approval when someone has done something praiseworthy or the right thing under the circumstances: he must have decided to bring the children up himself—fair play to himMore example sentences
- If I run well and they run better, then fair play to them.
- I felt if we scored first the pressure might get to Inveraray, but fair play to them, they scored in the opening minute.
- These writers believe wholeheartedly in what they are writing - and fair play to them - but it does mean that there is no animating tension to make their stories interesting.