Definition of fairy godmother in English:
1A female character in some fairy stories who has magical powers and brings good fortune to the hero or heroine.
- Throughout the movie, new characters such as the fairy godmother and the ogre-slayer; Puss-in-Boots, are introduced.
- We sometimes wondered if the men thought the fire wood dropped out of the sky or whether a fairy godmother brought it to our door, for they never asked any questions…
- It was Perrault who brought us the fairy godmother, the pumpkin that turned into a coach and the lizards, mice and rat as footmen, horses and coachman.
1.1A person who comes to the aid of someone in difficulty: I see no hope of a fairy godmother prepared to solve our financial problems
More example sentences
- They are indulging in fairytale economics - in which a fairy godmother makes all the difficult choices.
- Could they say whether their proposed Civic Centre is to be entirely owned by the people of Otley or are they hoping that some fairy godmother will step in to look after and renovate their building?
- ‘Lillian has really been like my fairy godmother for the last month, I'm just so grateful to her,’ she exclaimed.
Definition of fairy godmother in:
- US English dictionary