Definition of fairy tale in English:
1A fairy story.
- She was due to play Cinderella in a school rendition of the classic fairy tale, but shocked staff cancelled the production.
- My favourite fairy tale was The Little Mermaid and that was because Ariel got her prince just by loving him.
- There's constant repetition which, at times, gives the writing the soothing familiarity of a fairy tale.
1.1 [often as modifier] Something resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy: a fairy-tale romance
More example sentences
- Vidocq's great achievement was to confer his magical, fairy-tale prestige on a branch of government administration.
- This subtle but persistent political theme is well served by the author's tart humor, as is the fairy-tale romance.
- We've been together for over ten years now, and it's still a fairy-tale romance.
1.2A fabricated story, especially one intended to deceive.
- Just don't start believing the fairytales about spring records meaning anything.
- This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I've ever seen.
- And that was a big surprise to many people who expected Russia Today to go and tell all the fairy tales about Russia to the world.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.