Definition of fairy tale in English:
1A fairy story.
- She was due to play Cinderella in a school rendition of the classic fairy tale, but shocked staff cancelled the production.
- My favourite fairy tale was The Little Mermaid and that was because Ariel got her prince just by loving him.
- There's constant repetition which, at times, gives the writing the soothing familiarity of a fairy tale.
1.1 [often as modifier] Something resembling a fairy story in being magical, idealized, or extremely happy: a fairy-tale romance
More example sentences
- Vidocq's great achievement was to confer his magical, fairy-tale prestige on a branch of government administration.
- This subtle but persistent political theme is well served by the author's tart humor, as is the fairy-tale romance.
- We've been together for over ten years now, and it's still a fairy-tale romance.
1.2A fabricated story, especially one intended to deceive.
- Just don't start believing the fairytales about spring records meaning anything.
- This whole thing is the biggest fairy tale I've ever seen.
- And that was a big surprise to many people who expected Russia Today to go and tell all the fairy tales about Russia to the world.