- A Middle Eastern dish of spiced mashed chickpeas or other pulses formed into balls or fritters and deep-fried, usually eaten with or in pitta bread.More example sentences
- The chickpea croquettes called falafel and the ever-popular chickpea dip, hummus, are both very good.
- Chickpeas feature in the majority of meze, in either hummus, falafel or salad, and are often spiked with coriander or mint or given a welcome boost from red chilli.
- Many dine on falafel, sandwiches made with balls of deep-fried hummus, or grilled lamb sandwiches, called shwarma.
from colloquial Egyptian Arabic falāfil, plural of Arabic fulful, filfil 'pepper'.
More definitions of falafelDefinition of falafel in:
- The US English dictionary