adjectiveBotany & Zoology
- Curved like a sickle; hooked: the mandibles are falcateMore example sentences
- Beaked whales have a small, falcate dorsal fin, which is set fairly far back on their bodies (well beyond the midpoint).
- The shape of the dorsal fin is variable ranging from low and stubby with a broad base to high and falcate (curved).
- The shell is very long and narrow, falcate, fibrous, and distinctly exhibiting the small septa as they occur in the genus Caprina.
early 19th century: from Latin falcatus, from falx, falc- 'sickle'.
More definitions of falcateDefinition of falcate in:
- The US English dictionary