- 1A folding chair used by a bishop when not occupying the throne or when officiating in a church other than his own.More example sentences
- A faldstool is prescribed by the old English Ritual in the consecration of a bishop.
- The Celebrant will be a Cardinal and will sit at the faldstool on the Epistle side...The rite of Pontifical Mass at the faldstool will be followed.
- 2A small movable folding desk or stool for kneeling at prayer.More example sentences
- In the modern practice of the Church of England, the term faldstool is given to the reading desk from which the litany is read.
- Two types of furniture predominate, the shriving stall in some Suffolk churches, and the faldstool elsewhere.
More definitions of faldstoolDefinition of faldstool in:
- The US English dictionary