- A warning given about something that fails to happen: the fire bells were a false alarmMore example sentences
- There have been a series of false alarms about the disease in Britain since the massive outbreak last year that effectively shut down the countryside and resulted in the slaughter of millions of cattle, pigs and sheep.
- There always has to be a delicate balance between these opposing needs, to catch all the cancers while protecting women without cancer from false alarms and unnecessary invasive procedures.
- Society reacts to police tragedy with tears of remorse, yet can't seem to understand why police are so aggressive in situations that turn out to be false alarms.
More definitions of false alarmDefinition of false alarm in:
- The US English dictionary