- A fruit formed from other parts of the plant as well as the ovary, especially the receptacle, such as the strawberry or fig. Also called pseudocarp.More example sentences
- The strawberry fruit crop is of great economic importance worldwide and its edible part is a false fruit originating mainly from the expansion of the flower base or pseudocarp where the real fruits are attached.
- The Yews' juicy, red items are false fruits because they don't develop from ovaries.
- A real fruit would develop out of the plant ovary. For this reason, biologists refer to apples as false fruits, also called accessory fruits.
More definitions of false fruitDefinition of false fruit in:
- The US English dictionary