- 1The state of being untrue: the truth or falsehood of the many legends which surround herMore example sentences
- The problems of another transitional period provide the substance of Stage Beauty, an intelligent, entertaining examination of the line between illusion and reality, truth and falsehood, love and sex.
- These utterances/acts are outside the consideration of truth or falsehood; they are semantically empty - they can produce only meanings.
- It requires our full humanity - our rationality, our ability to sort out truth from falsehood, our intuition, our compassion, our vision, and our morality.
- 1.1 [count noun] A lie: a downright falsehoodMore example sentences
lie, fib, untruth, false statement, falsification, fabrication, invention, piece of fiction, fiction, story, yarn, made-up story, trumped-up story, cock and bull story, flight of fancy, figment of the imagination; barefaced lie, (little) white lie, half truth, departure from the truth, red herring• informal tall story, tall tale, fairy story, fairy tale, whopper• humorous terminological inexactitude
- You can teach falsehoods and half truths issue a diploma and call someone educated.
- There is a grain of truth in both these stories, surrounded by falsehoods.
- As a little boy I was much given to inventing deliberate falsehoods and this was always done for the sake of causing excitement.
- 1.2Lying: the right to sue for malicious falsehoodMore example sentences
lying, mendacity, untruthfulness, fibbing, fabrication, invention, perjury, perfidy, perfidiousness, lack of veracity, telling stories, misrepresentation, prevarication, equivocation; deceit, deception, deceitfulness, pretence, artifice, falseness, two-facedness, double-dealing, double-crossing, dissimulation, treacheryIrish • informal codology• informal kidology
- The settlement was reached after Judd sued the magazine for malicious falsehood and false attribution.
- They cannot be sued for libel, malicious falsehood or conspiring to give false evidence.
- In malicious falsehood, the plaintiff has to prove that the statement is false.