noun (plural familiae /-lɪiː/)• historical
- A household or religious community under one head, regarded as a unit: they expelled him and his household familia from the placeMore example sentences
- A vast social distance separated the institutionalized clergy from their familia, the dependant servants, and peasants who enabled the members of the community to devote themselves to their extensive duties of prayer.
- The Norman system was coloured by Frankish practice and was still firmly entrenched in the familia - the lord's hearth.
- Not all of his fellow believers enjoyed this advantage, for many of them were slaves in the great familiae or households of the neighborhood.
More definitions of familiaDefinition of familia in:
- The US English dictionary