Definition of familiarize in English:
1Give (someone) knowledge or understanding of something: the need to familiarize pupils with dictionaries and their structures
More example sentences
- I first met with each of the eight youths for a preintervention interview that allows us to become acquainted and for me to familiarize myself with their understanding of their behavioral challenges.
- A short introduction familiarises us with the crucial role of history painting in the seventeenth century, unduly neglected today.
- A little search on the Internet and your travel agent can familiarize you with the cuisine, tastes of people and the luxury plus the budget restaurants at the place you propose to go.
make conversant, make familiar, acquaint, get up to date, keep up to date;
accustom to, habituate to, instruct in, coach in, train in, teach in, educate in, school in, prime in, indoctrinate in, initiate into, introduce to
informal gen up on, clue in on, clue up on, put in the picture about, put wise to, keep up to speed with, give the gen about, give the low-down on, give a rundown of, fill in on
make known, make better known, make familiar, bring to notice, bring to public attention
1.1Make (something) better known or more easily grasped: exercises which will help to familiarize the terms used
More example sentences
- An intention by 90 members of the People's Consultative Assembly to conduct an overseas trip to familiarize the results of the Annual Session has left me speechless.
- He expressed his stance to familiarize the plan's benefits to the community while taking in ideas from various parties.
- VSP is a movement to familiarise Sanskrit among the masses by organising 10-day spoken Sanskrit classes.
- Example sentences
- An initial acclimation period for diet adjustment and familiarization with collection apparatus was needed prior to the onset of the study.
- The focus is on creating conditions for their sociopsychological and job-related adjustment and familiarization with military units.
- Your journey begins with a familiarization and safety briefing, before you get acquainted with your vehicle and head out to the backcountry.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan