- 1Valuable items of jewellery belonging to a particular family and handed down from one generation to the next: the Astor family jewelsMore example sentences
- At festive times when she did wear the family jewels at my mother's insistence, she took ages to put them on.
- The incident comes just three months after a gang raided the family's home and got away with family jewels worth over 2 million pounds.
- It was unfortunate because the robbers broke into his house and demanded that he hand over the family jewels.
- 2 • humorous A man’s genitals.More example sentences
- Then I kicked him hard, right into his family jewels.
- She didn't mention anything about my family jewels, which must evidently hang out when I fight.
- How would he have felt if his friend had missed the ‘target’ and ended up shooting off his family jewels?
sell (or sell off) the family jewels
- Part with or sell valuable or precious resources for the sake of immediate profit or advantage: Rangers have been systematically selling off the family jewelsMore example sentences
- This has been regarded by many as a selling of the family jewels for a quick gain by the council.
- It is widely known that he was most unhappy about selling the country's family jewels.
- Sometimes the rich clubs get richer, but the not-quite-so-rich sell off most of the family jewels to remain solvent.
More definitions of family jewelsDefinition of family jewels in:
- The US English dictionary