Definition of fantail in English:
1.1chiefly North American The overhanging part of the stern of a boat, especially a warship: the skipper assigned me to duty on the fantail
More example sentences
- They rigged up a rope ladder and hung it from the fantail and the liberty boat ran in under it.
- Although most fleet Kingfishers were catapulted from the fantails of battleships and cruisers, the Navy also tried mounting them on the stern of destroyers.
- Despite going to sea on a boat with no windows, no fantail, no helipad or even a hatch to allow in some tension-breaking fresh salt air, submariners are still sailors at heart.
2 (also fantail pigeon) A domestic pigeon of a broad-tailed variety.
- A fantail pigeon will probably mate only if it catches the eye of the breeder; a wild pigeon will not mate unless it withstands the struggle for existence long enough to reach maturity.
- Lamarck's Philosophie zoologique mentions the great variety of animal and plant forms produced under human cultivation (Lamarck even anticipated Darwin in mentioning fantail pigeons!
- In that area were several bird houses crowded with gorgeous white fantail pigeons, who perched there or hopped down to walk around on the ground; a couple of Muscovy ducks; a sleepy dog.
3 (also fantail flycatcher) A flycatcher with a long tapering tail that is often fanned out, found mainly in SE Asia and Australasia.
- Genus Rhipidura, family Monarchidae: numerous species
- Along these roads are many walking tracks where native birds such as wood pigeons, bellbirds, weka and fantails can be seen and heard.
- As you walk you have a good chance of seeing some native birds - brown creepers, bellbirds, grey warblers and fantails.
- When you need to pause for breath look at the surrounding bush, listen to the birds and watch to see fantails, bellbirds, and native pigeons.
- Example sentences
- I have a 30L tank with one fan tailed gold fish two multicoloured fan tailed fish and one black fan tailed fish.
- It had a nicely drawn design of fan-tailed animals marching in opposing directions, row by row, and was done in the silky wool characteristic of good Baluch work.
Definition of fantail in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia