1.1chiefly North American The overhanging part of the stern of a boat, especially a warship: the skipper assigned me to duty on the fantail
More example sentences
- They rigged up a rope ladder and hung it from the fantail and the liberty boat ran in under it.
- Although most fleet Kingfishers were catapulted from the fantails of battleships and cruisers, the Navy also tried mounting them on the stern of destroyers.
- Despite going to sea on a boat with no windows, no fantail, no helipad or even a hatch to allow in some tension-breaking fresh salt air, submariners are still sailors at heart.
2 (also fantail pigeon) A domestic pigeon of a broad-tailed variety.
- A fantail pigeon will probably mate only if it catches the eye of the breeder; a wild pigeon will not mate unless it withstands the struggle for existence long enough to reach maturity.
- Lamarck's Philosophie zoologique mentions the great variety of animal and plant forms produced under human cultivation (Lamarck even anticipated Darwin in mentioning fantail pigeons!
- In that area were several bird houses crowded with gorgeous white fantail pigeons, who perched there or hopped down to walk around on the ground; a couple of Muscovy ducks; a sleepy dog.
3 (also fantail flycatcher) A flycatcher with a long tapering tail that is often fanned out, found mainly in SE Asia and Australasia.
- Genus Rhipidura, family Monarchidae: numerous species
- Along these roads are many walking tracks where native birds such as wood pigeons, bellbirds, weka and fantails can be seen and heard.
- As you walk you have a good chance of seeing some native birds - brown creepers, bellbirds, grey warblers and fantails.
- When you need to pause for breath look at the surrounding bush, listen to the birds and watch to see fantails, bellbirds, and native pigeons.
- Example sentences
- I have a 30L tank with one fan tailed gold fish two multicoloured fan tailed fish and one black fan tailed fish.
- It had a nicely drawn design of fan-tailed animals marching in opposing directions, row by row, and was done in the silky wool characteristic of good Baluch work.
Definition of fantail in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.