Used to express good wishes on parting: Farewell Albert!
goodbye, so long, adieu;
Australian/New Zealand hooray;
South African check you;
French au revoir;
German auf Wiedersehen;
informal bye, bye-bye, cheerio, see you, see you later, cheers, toodle-oo, toodle-pip
British informal ta-ta
North American informal later, laters
1An act of parting or of marking someone’s departure: the dinner had been arranged as a farewell
More example sentences
- His teaching colleagues and students have arranged a special farewell party for him this Friday.
- One idea is to launch a farewell party, like we do for adults when they leave.
- But after struggling to recruit new members, they have decided to disband, and performed for the last time at a farewell party on Tuesday.
1.1 [mass noun] Parting good wishes: he had come on the pretext of bidding her farewell
More example sentences
- Of course, this is no fond farewell as Lynn strolls off into the sunset.
- The whole family was at the pier to bid us fond farewell, making us promise that we would come to visit them again.
- Vincent nodded a farewell as she left, and he instinctively locked the door behind her.
valediction, goodbye, adieu;
leave-taking, parting, departure, departing, going away;
verb[with object] Australian /NZ
Mark the departure or retirement of (someone) with a ceremony or party.
- I farewelled my Scandinavian companions, and departed on a Kodiak boat with the Americans Judy, Hank and Cody.
- We drove past it again on Saturday when we farewelled little Harry, David's grandson, and Sally, flying home to Sydney and Colin, after a two week interlude in the Alice.
- Like the facts surrounding the crash, they are hauntingly familiar to Hastings teenagers who farewelled four mates weeks earlier, only 2km away.
Words that rhyme with farewellAdele, Aix-la-Chapelle, aquarelle, artel, au naturel, bagatelle, béchamel, befell, bell, belle, boatel, Brunel, Cadell, carousel, cartel, cell, Chanel, chanterelle, clientele, Clonmel, compel, Cornell, crime passionnel, dell, demoiselle, dispel, dwell, el, ell, Estelle, excel, expel, fell, Fidel, fontanelle, foretell, Gabrielle, gazelle, gel, Giselle, hell, hotel, impel, knell, lapel, mademoiselle, maître d'hôtel, Manuel, marcel, matériel, mesdemoiselles, Michel, Michelle, Miguel, misspell, morel, moschatel, Moselle, motel, muscatel, nacelle, Nell, Nobel, Noel, organelle, outsell, Parnell, pell-mell, personnel, propel, quell, quenelle, rappel, Raquel, Ravel, rebel, repel, Rochelle, Sahel, sardelle, sell, shell, show-and-tell, smell, Snell, spell, spinel, swell, tell, undersell, vielle, villanelle, well, yell
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fare|well
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.