Relating to the Faroe Islands or their people or language.
- Outside, the silence is broken only by the quietly lapping sea, which today is behaving well; Vikings settled here, according to a Faroese joke, only because they were too seasick to sail on to Iceland.
- Their repertoire will include traditional Faroese and Nordic folk songs and church hymns, modern Faroese lyrics and classical choir music.
- If the oil is where the operators think it is, the Faroese fishermen want it shipped south-east to Shetland rather than north-west to the Faroes.
noun (plural same)
1A native or inhabitant of the Faroes, or a person of Faroese descent.
- ‘The Scots are like the Faroese in their amazing passion for football,’ he states.
- Like many, the Faroese have a strong affinity with the Irish, undoubtedly due in part to the fact that the islands were founded by 7th century Irish monks and settlers.
- Instead of going through one of the many tunnels the Faroese have burrowed everywhere, John takes the stunning high road and soon we reach the mist-shrouded summit.
2 [mass noun] The official language of the Faroes, a Scandinavian language closely related to Icelandic.
- It is most closely related to Faroese (the language spoken on the Faroe Islands).
- The northern folk, who stayed where they were, gradually changed their language into Icelandic, Faeroese, Norwegian, Swedish, and Danish.
- Swedish is a north Germanic language related to Norwegian, Danish, Icelandic, and Faeroese; it has incorporated elements of German, French, English, and Finnish.
Words that rhyme with FaroeseAchinese, Ambonese, appease, Assamese, Balinese, Belize, Beninese, Bernese, bêtise, Bhutanese, breeze, Burmese, Cantonese, Castries, cerise, cheese, chemise, Chinese, Cingalese, Cleese, Congolese, Denise, Dodecanese, ease, éminence grise, expertise, freeze, Fries, frieze, Gabonese, Genoese, Goanese, Guyanese, he's, Japanese, Javanese, jeez, journalese, Kanarese, Keys, Lebanese, lees, legalese, Louise, Macanese, Madurese, Maltese, marquise, Milanese, Nepalese, officialese, overseas, pease, Pekinese, Peloponnese, Piedmontese, please, Portuguese, Pyrenees, reprise, Rwandese, seise, seize, Senegalese, she's, Siamese, Sienese, Sikkimese, Sinhalese, sleaze, sneeze, squeeze, Stockton-on-Tees, Sudanese, Sundanese, Surinamese, Tabriz, Taiwanese, tease, Tees, telegraphese, these, Timorese, Togolese, trapeze, valise, Viennese, Vietnamese, vocalese, wheeze
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Faro|ese
Definition of Faroese in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.