Definition of featherweight in English:
1 [mass noun] A weight in boxing and other sports intermediate between bantamweight and lightweight. In the amateur boxing scale it ranges from 54 to 57 kg.
- Henry Armstrong held world titles at featherweight, lightweight and welterweight simultaneously and won 150 fights.
- So the Europeans tend to dominate the categories other than flyweight, featherweight and bantamweight.
- Steve Bell is a real boxer and he won British Amateur Boxing Association's featherweight title in 1998, the same year this film was made.
1.1 [count noun] A featherweight boxer or other competitor.
- The final undercard bout featured featherweights Rogers Mtagwa and Valdemir Pereira.
- I truly thought that this chapter in the book of featherweights would be dominated by the better boxer, and maybe it was, only the better boxer, at least this night, was not Marco.
- But, no matter how good they are, featherweights never capture the American imagination like heavyweights, and the Prince soon tasted defeat at the gloves of Marco Antonio Barrera.
2A very light person or thing.
- It's a featherweight, but at the same time inspires confidence that it is well-constructed.
2.1A person or thing not worth serious consideration: he is an intellectual featherweight
More example sentences
- The academic, who is the Oxford University Professor of Historical Theology, shows him to be an intellectual featherweight on religious topics.
- Sure, there's plenty to be said about Picasso and Ingres but a featherweight intellect like him can barely lift his prose above the absurd.
Words that rhyme with featherweightbirthweight
Definition of featherweight in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.