- A medicine used to reduce fever: she employed a risky febrifuge and the fever finally brokeMore example sentences
- The leaves of bael are astringent, a laxative, a febrifuge and an expectorant and are useful in ophthalmia, deafness, inflammations, catarrh, diabetes and asthmatic complaints.
- The traditional use of stem bark as a febrifuge in relapsing fevers was confirmed as an extract of stem bark reduced pyrexia in comparative biological tests.
- Today garlic is still used as a febrifuge to assist fevers.
late 17th century: from French fébrifuge, from Latin febris 'fever' + fugare 'drive away'. Compare with feverfew.
More definitions of febrifugeDefinition of febrifuge in:
- The US English dictionary