- Arab guerrillas operating especially against Israel: he attempted to obtain clemency for members of the Islamic fedayeenMore example sentences
- He had a firefight with the fedayeen and some of them got killed.
- After the defeat of the dictator, she was reluctant to return as the fedayeen were still operating in the town.
- The delegitimization of resisting combatants is continued in accompanying descriptions of the activities of the fedayeen and other militias.
1950s: from colloquial Arabic fidā'iyīn, plural of classical Arabic fidā'ī 'one who gives his life for another or for a cause', from fadā 'to ransom someone'. The singular fedai (from Arabic and Persian fidā'ī) had previously been used (late 19th century) to denote an Ismaili Muslim assassin.
More definitions of fedayeenDefinition of fedayeen in:
- The US English dictionary