Definition of feeler in English:
1An animal organ such as an antenna or palp that is used for testing things by touch or for searching for food.
- The tip of the snout is expanded into a naked pink disc which supports 22 finger-like tentacles or feelers which give this creature its name.
- Like all lobsters, he has ten legs and two claws (the right slightly larger than the left), and two pairs of antennae or feelers.
- These things now have legs, feelers, and everything.
1.1A tentative proposal intended to ascertain someone’s attitude or opinion: he has already put out feelers to local employers
More example sentences
- He has put out feelers regarding a switch to American citizenship, a move that would let him own U.S. broadcast properties.
- I've put out feelers to get someone right inside the Cunningham community coalition to explain to us how the miracle happened.
- Already in 1987 Austria had put out feelers to Moscow to see what its reaction would be if Austria was to apply to join the European Community.