(also femme sole)
nounLaw , • historical
- A woman without a husband, especially one that is divorced.More example sentences
- In Kempe's case, the failed brewery would have had economic repercussions, from which her husband was legally exempt if she operated as a femme sole.
- McDowell details the position of the feme sole in the book trade.
- Single women enjoyed the legal status of femme sole, giving them the right to own property in their own names and to make contracts.
early 16th century: from Anglo-Norman French feme soule 'a woman alone'.
More definitions of feme soleDefinition of feme sole in:
- The US English dictionary