Definition of fender in English:
1A low frame bordering a fireplace to prevent burning coals from falling out.
- His elegantly designed candlesticks, fireplace fenders, and furniture, for example, often made use of identical components in different combinations.
- The ring's low height and shiny blackness suggest an experimental apparatus, but also evoke old-style fireplace fenders or circular railings in museums.
- They all fell over and Carrie banged her head on the fender.
2A plastic cylinder, tyre, piece of old rope or matting, etc., hung over a ship’s side to protect it against impact.
- He was responsible for securing the fenders and stowing mooring ropes when the vessel left berth.
- Always stay away from the dam side and use the time to hang fenders on the side of the boat where the lock house is and watch the light by the lock house.
- Following the starboard side further forward, a pair of old rubber tyre fenders are still attached to the rail.
3North American The mudguard or area around the wheel well of a vehicle.
- One, starting at the headlight, forms a curve (upward over the fender area, downward along the door, then back up and down on the rear quarter) that is said to be reminiscent of the beltline of a classic roadster.
- Overhangs are kept short, though the changing radii of the curved sections between the fenders and bumper faces make them look shorter still.
- A crisp line runs the length of the vehicle from bulging front fenders to bulging rear fenders, even dissecting the fuel filler cover.
Words that rhyme with fenderaddenda, agenda, amender, ascender, attender, blender, Brenda, contender, corrigenda, descender, engender, extender, fazenda, gender, Glenda, Gwenda, hacienda, Länder, lender, mender, offender, pudenda, recommender, referenda, render, sender, slender, spender, splendour (US splendor), surrender, suspender, tender, Venda, weekender, Wenda
Definition of fender in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.