An aromatic yellow-flowered European plant of the parsley family, with feathery leaves.
- Foeniculum vulgare, family Umbelliferae: two subspecies, a hardy perennial (dulce), the seeds and leaves of which are used as culinary herbs, and the annual Florence (or sweet) fennel (azoricum), with swollen leaf bases which are eaten as a vegetable
More example sentences
- Angelica belongs to the Umbellifer family and is of similar habit to dill, fennel, caraway and lovage.
- Place the star anise, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and ginger in a mortar.
- These include soya products, beetroot, parsley, root fennel and yams.
Old English finule, fenol, from Latin faeniculum, diminutive of faenum 'hay'.
Definition of fennel in:
- The US English dictionary