noun (plural fers de lance pronounced same or fer de lances)
A large and dangerous pit viper native to Central and South America.
- Genus Bothrops, family Viperidae: several species, in particular B. atrox
More example sentences
- He also finds some of the rare and unique snakes in his journey, which includes eyelash viper, the fer de lance and the bushmaster.
- Later, there was a fight between a mongoose and a 6ft-long fer de lance.
- Some venom kills very rapidly, such as that of the golden fer-de-lance (Bothrops insularis) of Queimada Island, off the Brazilian coast.
late 19th century: from French, literally 'iron (head) of a lance'.
Definition of fer de lance in:
- The US English dictionary