Definition of fermata in English:
1A pause of unspecified length on a note or rest.
- The rests, fermatas and sudden dynamic changes help to provide an element of surprise.
- Unfortunately, most editors have tried to ‘correct’ Bach's ‘inconsistencies’ by adding fermatas where Bach did not indicate them.
- In movement four there should be a fermata over the last cluster in line two.
1.1A sign indicating a prolonged note or rest.
- This also differs from the piano part in the transcription as the piano part indicates the fermata.
- Many of the extremely slow and lightening fast tempos we have become so accustomed to are automatically invalidated simply by honoring Bach's fermatas and implied tempo relationships.
- The final two bars, with their fermatas and sforzandos, are much more theatrical and formidable than Schubert's.
Italian, from fermare 'to stop'.
Definition of fermata in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia