Definition of fern in English:
noun (plural same or ferns)
A flowerless plant which has feathery or leafy fronds and reproduces by spores released from the undersides of the fronds. Ferns have a vascular system for the transport of water and nutrients.
- Class Filicopsida, division Pteridophyta
- Found in the shade throughout the growing season are numerous ferns and fern allies.
- Despite its name, this evergreen is not a pine but a spore-bearing plant related to ferns.
- The children collected leaves from plants such as ferns etc. which will be used for nature study purposes.
- Example sentences
- Elma has great plans for a water feature and a fernery (collection of different ferns) and her enthusiasm was really infectious.
- We've got rough bark covered in moss and dripping with green fernery, quite a way up the trunk of the tree.
- The fernery near the rose garden had fallen into disrepair, and in 1988 the Christchurch City Council set aside a sum of $6000.00 for its demolition.
- Example sentences
- On the other hand, a planting that combines large, tropical-looking leaves with fine-textured, ferny foliage will have pizzazz.
- Use the ferny leaves on a sandwich in place of lettuce, mix them with other salad greens, steep them in white-wine vinegar, or bruise them and add them to a wine spritzer.
- It has grown more than two metres high this year despite being in a relatively small container and has covered a decent area of wall with its ferny foliage with a few stems finding their way into the bamboo growing nearby.
Pronunciation: /ˈfəːnəri/noun (plural ferneries)
Words that rhyme with fernadjourn, astern, Berne, burn, churn, concern, discern, earn, fohn, kern, learn, Lucerne, quern, Sauternes, spurn, stern, Sterne, tern, terne, Traherne, turn, urn, Verne, yearn
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.