(Of a substance) displaying a weak form of ferromagnetism associated with parallel but opposite alignment of neighbouring atoms. In contrast with antiferromagnetic materials, these alignments do not cancel out and there is a net magnetic moment.
- In ferrimagnetic substances (a subclass of ferromagnetic materials), this same temperature is referred to as the Curie temperature (T C).
- The MS depends on factors such as the concentrations of ferrimagnetic and paramagnetic minerals and the magnetic grain size.
- Meanwhile, Kazuhito Hashimoto at the University of Tokyo in Japan has built a reversibly switching molecular magnet that changes from a paramagnetic to a ferrimagnetic state when light is shone on it.
- Example sentences
- In the conventional view of metallic ferromagnetism, it is driven by 'exchange energy' between conduction electrons in rigid bands.
- Ferromagnetism is a form of magnetism that can be acquired in an external magnetic field and usually retained in its absence.
Definition of ferrimagnetic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.