Definition of ferrite in English:
1A ceramic compound consisting of a mixed oxide of iron and one or more other metals which has ferrimagnetic properties and is used in high-frequency electrical components such as aerials.
- He said that in this approach the core can be a highly magnetic material like iron or iron alloys, while the shell can be a mixed metal ferrite with tailored resistivity.
- Some of the physical incidents in haunts, including interference with electrical equipment and movement of objects with ferrite components, may also be due to anomalous electromagnetic conditions.
- The remainder enters into solid solution in the ferrite with the non-carbide forming elements nickel and silicon.
2 Metallurgy A form of pure iron with a body-centred cubic crystal structure, occurring in low-carbon steel.
- Trip steels have a microstructure with retained austenite, ferrite and martensite.
- The microstructure is thus converted to ferrite, and the excess carbon is deposited on the existing nodules.
- They exhibit an austenitic matrix, although several grades also contain some ferrite.
- sense 2.Example sentences
- All of the ferritic types are considered weldable with the majority of the welding processes except for the free machining grade 430F, which contains high sulphur content.
- In the cast stainless steels structures may be austenitic, ferritic, martensitic, or ferric-austenitic (duplex).
- There is another important group of stainless steels which are essentially ferritic in structure.
Definition of ferrite in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan