- 1(Of soil or land) producing or capable of producing abundant vegetation or crops: the fertile coastal plainMore example sentences
- The mountains prevented large-scale farming and impelled the Greeks to look beyond their borders to new lands where fertile soil was more abundant.
- Malaria has been eradicated and the Hule has become one of the breadbaskets of Israel, acre upon acre of fertile land abundant with fruit and grain and garden crops.
- The soil is extremely fertile and produces immense crops when there is enough rainfall, otherwise they are a failure.
- 1.1Producing many new and inventive ideas: her fertile imaginationMore example sentences
- In Lindsay's fertile imagination, such ideas interact in strange and unexpected ways.
- These characters are all part of Kamen's fertile imagination as he invented all of these roles.
- It is from this very imagination of some fertile minds that various religious texts, rituals and ideas have sprouted.
- 1.2(Of a situation) encouraging a particular activity or feeling: conditions at the time provided fertile ground for revolutionary movementsMore example sentences
- Taking refuge in the dharma, taking a passionless approach, means that all of life is regarded as a fertile situation and a learning situation, always.
- When Chester accepted the invitation to go to the University of Kentucky, it put our family in a fertile situation where we could grow individually and as a family.
- The ramps will be approximately 150 yards away from this hostel, making it a fertile prospect for drug pushers both on site at the hostel and also the ramp site.
- 2(Of a person, animal, or plant) able to conceive young or produce seed.More example sentences
- It's in our biology to seek out young and fertile creatures.
- Since female mice are fertile for more than a year, their ovaries had to be generating new oocytes, the scientists reasoned.
- All five mice were fertile and went on to produce their own healthy pups.
- 2.1(Of a seed or egg) capable of becoming a new individual.More example sentences
- Some of my favorite duck hens were getting older though, so I had to reconsider artificial incubation for any fertile eggs they laid.
- The left and right bars of each pair represent infertile and fertile eggs, respectively.
- All females that laid fertile eggs were given a month's break.
- 2.2 Physics (Of nuclear material) able to become fissile by the capture of neutrons.More example sentences
- This report provides an overview of recyclable fissile and fertile materials inventories which can be reused as nuclear fuel.
- It does not contain fissile or fertile nuclear materials; therefore, there is no risk of nuclear proliferation.
late Middle English: via French from Latin fertilis, from ferre 'to bear'.