1The action or process of fertilizing an egg or a female animal or plant, involving the fusion of male and female gametes to form a zygote.
- The embryos of all sexually reproducing organisms develop from a single cell, formed by the fusion of a male and a female gamete at fertilization.
- The act also requires that no person should provide gametes for in vitro fertilisation, storage, or donation without first being given appropriate information about treatment.
- In common with in vitro fertilisation, a gamete intrafallopian transfer cycle begins with superovulation to recruit multiple follicles and is followed by egg retrieval.
2The action or process of applying a fertilizer to soil or land.
- Forages are generally good sources of calcium and can be variable in phosphorus according to soil type and fertilization.
- We've made huge advances in agricultural mechanization, in fertilization, in soil science.
- The effect of rootstock on wine quality is probably no greater than that of other factors such as soil, climate, fertilization, and irrigation.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: fer¦til|iza|tion
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.