- 1Cause (an egg, female animal, or plant) to develop a new individual by introducing male reproductive material.More example sentences
- Biologists knew from studies on a wide range of animals that males compete with other males to fertilize eggs and that females choose potential mates based on the males' appearance and, perhaps, even on their sperm.
- The male then fertilizes the eggs and the female keeps them in her mouth for a few days until they hatch, thus earning the epithet mouth-brooder.
- This procedure is repeated until all the eggs are laid, with the male looping himself round the female each time to fertilize the eggs as she lays them.
- 2Make (soil or land) more fertile or productive by adding suitable substances to it.More example sentences
- At the end of the nineteenth century, burning forest biomass to clear land and fertilize the soil was used only occasionally on the Continent.
- They will build a dam for the cattle to drink from, and they will fertilize the soil with manure.
- When the only other dead member of our party died, we buried him in the soil to fertilize the land.
- More example sentences
- These sexual differences are reflected in the operational sex ratio; the ratio of fertilizable females to sexually active males at the site and time when mating occurs.
- Because female Collared Flycatchers only lay one clutch per season, the proportion of fertilizable females declines as the proportion of incubating females increase.
- This, and the consequent high ratio of sexually active males to fertilizable females, causes the males to be rather indiscriminate and the females to exert careful mate choice.