Definition of festival of lights in English:
1 Another term for Hanukkah.
- Hanukkah or Chanukah is the Jewish festival of lights.
- For those of you who don't know, Chanukah is the Jewish festival of lights, because, as the story goes, there was no oil for the everlasting light in the temple and the oil that should have burnt out lasted eight days and eight nights.
- Jews mark Hannukah, the festival of lights, this year celebrated on December 5, while pagans increasingly observe the winter solstice - the shortest day of the year - on December 21.
2 another term for Diwali.
- Diwali means a festival of lights, triumph of good over evil.
- Diwali, also known as the festival of lights, celebrates the coronation of Rama, a good God from scripture, as king.
- We feel it is wonderful that the Diwali festival of lights takes place here, as it highlights the rich cultural diversity of our city.
Definition of festival of lights in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan