noun[mass noun] Medicine
- A congenital syndrome associated with excessive consumption of alcohol by the mother during pregnancy, and characterized by retardation of mental development and of physical growth, particularly of the skull and face.More example sentences
- Also avoid alcohol during pregnancy because babies with fetal alcohol syndrome often have congenital heart defects.
- Excessive alcohol use during pregnancy can cause fetal alcohol syndrome, a constellation of growth retardation, facial deformities, and central nervous system dysfunction.
- Adverse effects for children of women who use alcohol and tobacco include fetal alcohol syndrome, birth defects, growth deficits, developmental disabilities, and learning disorders.
More definitions of fetal alcohol syndromeDefinition of fetal alcohol syndrome in:
- The US English dictionary