- Smelling extremely unpleasant: the fetid water of the marshMore example sentences
stinking, smelly, foul-smelling, evil-smelling, malodorous, stinking to high heaven, reeking, pungent, acrid, high, rank, foul, unpleasant, nasty, noxious; West Indian freshNorth American • informal funky
- In the wards, children are crowded two and three in a bed in airless rooms, foetid with the smell of kerosene heaters.
- By the early hours of Sunday morning the fire was under control but days later the streets around the city's southside were blocked off and the air was fetid with the smell of damp smoke.
- And pot smoke lends a piquant tinge to the smell of fetid sweat.
- More example sentences
- Putrid smoke laced the sky, blending with the dark, low-hanging storm clouds that did not promise rain, and the eerily angelic white of mist rising from the fetidly warm earth.
- But without them I was forced to live in a world of initially swirling, but then foetidly clumping leaves.
late Middle English: from Latin fetidus (often erroneously spelled foetidus), from fetere 'to stink'. Compare with fetor.