Definition of fettler in English:
1British A person who does repair or maintenance work on a railway.
- As one of 8 surviving children of a railway fettler, will I have more than 37.5% of the nation as fellow travellers in the future?
- He qualified and worked as a pharmacist before embarking on a wandering tour of northern Australia, working as pearl diver, stockman, miner, and railway fettler - experiences which informed all his future writing.
- Ned Kelly compelled some fettlers to remove rails from the rail track, because they were expecting a train with a number of police.
2A person who fettles metal castings or pottery.
- The heated billets (short lengths of red hot steel) shoot out of the reheating furnace and are caught by the fettlers, men equipped with large pincers, and fed manually into the mill roll.
- The injured fettler had received little training in the use of power presses.
Definition of fettler in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan