- Any of a number of trees which are believed to either cause or cure fever, in particular:
More example sentences
- ● a North American tree used in the treatment of malaria during the civil war (Pinckneya pubens, family Rubiaceae). ● a southern African tree which was formerly believed to cause malaria (Acacia xanthophloea, family Leguminosae).
- The ‘fever tree’ was thought to cure malaria.
- Very soon, however, there could be no more Acacia erioloba, no Acacia karroo, no Acacia xanthophloea - otherwise known as camel thorn, sweet thorn and the green-trunked fever tree.
- But their word for bark - the Peruvian is kina - was rendered in Spanish as quina, which came to be associated with the ‘fever tree’.
More definitions of fever treeDefinition of fever tree in:
- The US English dictionary