noun (plural same)
- A tree, shrub, or climber of a large genus that includes the figs and the rubber plant, growing in tropical and warm climates.
More example sentences
- Genus Ficus, family Moraceae
- The ficus we grow indoors are members of the fig family and capable of fruiting.
- Consider reworking the roots and continuing to grow the ficus in pots.
- The ficus would thrive during the warm months on the patio in filtered morning sun, but I suspect summer afternoon sun would be too intense.
mid 19th century: from Latin, 'fig, fig tree'.
More definitions of ficusDefinition of ficus in:
- The US English dictionary