- 1 (also fiddlehead fern or fiddlehead green) North American The young, curled, edible frond of certain ferns.More example sentences
- For some Lake Superior Ojibwe tribal members, this season means the preparation of meals using wild greens such as bagwaji zhigaagawinzhig (wild onion), waabigoniin, and waagaag (fiddlehead fern).
- These are fiddleheads, the young shoots of the ostrich fern, Matteuccia struthiopteris, and the cinnamon fern, Osmunda cinnamonum.
- Christmas fern and soft shield fern (P. setiferum) remain green; the fiddleheads of many ferns emerge early from the winter ground.
- 2A scroll-like carving at a ship’s bows.More example sentences
- The head of the ship usually was finished off as a scrollhead or a fiddlehead.
- A gilt fiddlehead did you say--eh?
More definitions of fiddleheadDefinition of fiddlehead in:
- The US English dictionary