nounSouth African • historical
- 1A civilian official invested with the rank and responsibilities of a military officer and with judicial powers enabling him to act as a local administrator and magistrate.More example sentences
- They referred me to the Field Cornet, who denied the use of explosive bullets.
- Later that day Commandant de Beer and Field Cornet Grobbelaar came personally to the laager to urge Gen. Cronje to attempt his escape.
- 2A rank in the army equivalent to that of lieutenant.More example sentences
- The play has a number of characters with the rank of field-cornet, operating with British forces to quell the rebellion of 1815.
- I've assigned him the rank of Field Cornet, the Boer equivallent of a non-commissioned officer.
translating South African Dutch veld kornet, from veld 'field' + kornet, specifying a military rank.