noun[mass noun] Physics
- The emission of electrons from the surface of a conductor under the influence of a strong electrostatic field, as a result of the tunnel effect.More example sentences
- Additionally, unlike many nanoscale experiments in field emission, the device does not need to be cryogenically cooled.
- The field emission microscope provided unparalleled images of atomic structure.
- Industrial and university researchers around the world are now developing new devices using the nanotubes, such as field emission flat panel displays, high-strength composites and high energy-density batteries.
More definitions of field emissionDefinition of field emission in:
- The US English dictionary